Friday, December 6, 2013

Interactive skydiving video

The video below has a special, cutting-edge interactive feature. Once the skydiver jumps off the cliff, you can control his descent, and you don't even have to touch the screen. The software uses facial recognition software to track your eye movements and facial expressions, and it uses your facial responses to steer the skydiver.


It's science.


When I watched the video and Sail by Awolnation came on, I got so pissed at the music selection that I just wanted the skydiver to run into the cliff wall. The software took it from there, and the guy ran into the wall a bunch of times, and then plummeted to the roadway in a lifeless, Gumbi sort of stupor.

You can steer the skydiver any way you want, but if you're even reading this blog you probably hate Awolnation as much as THE ROBOTS do. Let's see how you steer him:

Cliff Strike 11/24/2013 from Subterminallyill on Vimeo.



When I showed the video to my cousin Chad from Manhattan Beach, Awolnation started playing and Chad got all stoked, and then the skydiver steered his way into a topless debadged BMW M6 with a bunch of chill bros cruising down the highway road tripping to a nearby Bass Nectar concert.





I don't think it's funny that some random guy ran into a cliff while skydiving and his unconscious body careened earthbound, potentially to his death. That's a bummer.

I do, however, think it's funny that the same random guy wanted to post the video of his near death moment in slow-motion with the coolest music he could think of.

I do think it's funny that this random guy's near death experience becomes a spectacle for the whole world to watch and rewatch.

Just for the record, if I ever narrowly escape death and am horribly maimed in the process, and if my friends and(or) family are nearby on the roadway below to watched in stunned, helpless horror uncertain of whether I will live as my unconscious body falls to the ground, I'd probably prefer that the footage of that accident stays private.

No comments: